Why prevention is the key:
Just about every part of your body is susceptible to infection, even your mouth. The difficult part is that there are many factors influencing the conditions of your mouth. Things like age, race, genetics, smoking, and oral hygiene are just a few. While there are many factors that you are unable to control, there are some that you can oversee that will reduce your risk of infection. One of the important ones is oral hygiene.
Signs that you may have infected gums:
- Gums that are swollen, tender or bleeding
- Receding gums
- Pus coming from the gums
- Chronic bad breath
- Loose teeth
- A noticeable change in the way your teeth fit together
There are early signs of gum disease, and it is important to know what they are so that you can take action quickly. When untreated, gum disease can lead to much more serious conditions.
These can effect not only your gums, but also the surrounding bone around the teeth. Eventually, it can lead to tooth loss.
How to Prevent Gum Infection:
- Brushing twice a day with a fluoridated toothpaste. There are a lot of anti-inflammatory toothpastes out there; they gently neutralize the bacteria trapped around the gum line, leading to healthier gums.
- Floss your teeth daily. This will remove food and bacteria in your mouth (This can cause plaque and tartar build-up and can eventually lead to infected gums).
- Use an anti-gingivitis mouthwash. You can also use mouthwashes that kill bacteria causing plaque. There are a variety options available and some have more than one benefit (like strengthening enamel, preventing cavities, or whitening).
- Visit your dentist and a hygienist at least twice a year for a professional cleaning and a check-up. This will remove tartar build up that you can’t take care of at home.
Here at Braeside Dental, our hygienists and dentists will help with assessing the condition of your gums at the initial appointment. Your hygienist can recommend both the proper hygiene regime for you at home and the appropriate frequency to come back to the dental office. This can help you obtain the oral health that you desire.
Gum disease can be reversed at an early stage. Identifying warning signs that lead to gum infection is an important way to prevent any damage.
Braeside Dental Centre